subreddit:

/r/AskReddit

27.9k

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

all 19260 comments

NCpartsguy

328 points

2 months ago

One of the few series where the third is the best entry.

annainlight

68 points

You chose…wisely.

LordoftheScheisse

13 points

Juniah!?

jefftreth1993

36 points

2 months ago

Bold statement - Raiders of the Lost Ark is best in my opinion. Sean Connery is terrific in Last Crusade don’t get me wrong, but let’s not get it twisted.

Kidspud

19 points

Kidspud

19 points

2 months ago

Last Crusade is a great distillation of the Indiana Jones series; it really leans into how absurd everything is and is not afraid to be FUN. But Raiders… that movie took cinema a step forward. Kinda like Star Wars or The Social Network (and maybe Everything Everywhere All At Once) it took the best of a genre and made it more perfect.

bombmk

bombmk

2 months ago

And demonstrates how the protagonist can constantly fail to have any meaningful impact on the unfolding of the overall plot. And still be a hero for it. :)

But I don't disagree completely with the sentiment.

tmonz

tmonz

The social network?

jamesdeandomino

6 points

2 months ago

idk dude, realizing that Indie had zero impact on what happened kinda ruined the movie for me.

Mknight13

9 points

2 months ago

The lengths some guys will go through to get the girl

jamesdeandomino

3 points

2 months ago

i guess that's the real takeaway of the movie

Jay_Louis

5 points

2 months ago

That and both the father and son banged the hot Nazi

itsthecoop

4 points

2 months ago

isn't it all about going along for the ride?

(in the logic of the story, Indy obviously wasn't aware that nothing he does/has done had any effect on the outcome)

J-GWentworth

2 months ago

He saved Marion and retained the Ark for top men. Assuming you're talking about Raiders.

jamesdeandomino

0 points

2 months ago

Of course I know that, but it's negligible when you're talking about a movie about finding lost treasure. One is generic lifesaving, and the other happens right at the end after the climax (of course he takes it back for top men to cart it in a warehouse).

Don't get me wrong, it's still a great action adventure movie and I would definitely watch it again when it reruns on TV, but the fact remains that Nazis would have found the Ark anyway and melt their own faces off. Indie's there as a metaphorical cameraman. Last Crusade still beats it for being the best one in the trilogy for me.

J-GWentworth

2 months ago

The entire film is a metaphor for materialism. In fact all three films are meant to show how Indy is in pursuit of treasure (albeit for noble reasons) only to find that the treasures are not what he or anyone else assumed them to be. Indy's father was the only one that knew the true nature of the pursuit in the third film. None of these films are about the MacGuffin, it's about the protagonist and his growth as a character.

jamesdeandomino

0 points

2 months ago

I really don't care for deeper meanings and film criticisms. I'm too stupid for it to enrich me in anyway.

J-GWentworth

0 points

Lol I like you

alizarik_thegoblin

2 months ago

I think you're right - most Millennials seem to remember the third one more fondly because we were kids watching that one as the most family-friendly of the trilogy, but in terms of quality, Raiders is superior. Silver and gold, though, folks!

evenstar40

49 points

2 months ago

Last Crusade is the best 80s film of all time.

jefftreth1993

27 points

2 months ago

“Best 80s film.. of all time” … of just the 80s.

Jay_Louis

-9 points

2 months ago

My retort: Sean Connery using his umbrella to scare birds on a beach. That movie is hot garbage.

Breezyisthewind

4 points

2 months ago

That’s a positive to the movie, not a negative.

AloversGaming

18 points

2 months ago

I find it too heavy on the comedy, and Temple of Doom too dark. Raider's hits the sweet spot so well.

bluvelvetunderground

14 points

2 months ago

Temple of Doom gets a lot of flak today for its racial stereotyping. Otherwise, I think it has some of my favorite set-pieces in the entire trilogy. It may be the darkest one, but in many ways it's has some of the goofiest moments in the series (minus the nuke fridge and Shia swinging with the monkeys in Crystal Skull).

17racecar71

14 points

Crystal Skull? Never heard of it

bluvelvetunderground

14 points

2 months ago

All these years removed from it, I don't think it's as terrible as people make it out to be. Indiana Jones, much like Star Wars, is very inspired by serialized shorts like Flash Gordon. Strong characters and punchy action, but sometimes the plot devices used to get from Point A->Point B relied on a bit of silly logic, which isn't uncommon in Indiana Jones.

To be completely honest, the only reason I defend Crystal Skull is because of the very end, when Jones' hat gets knocked off by a breeze, Shia LaBeouf's character picks it up and almost puts it on his head, until Jones snatches it from him and claims it as his own only. I would have been completely devastated if Shia put that hat on, and I could completely understand the hate it gets.

LegalAction

3 points

2 months ago

So I had access to a research library when they announced the title, and I spent time I should have used on my graduate program looking into mesoamerican crystal skulls.

There are, if I recall, 13 life-sized crystal skulls circulating in museums and private collections. All of them have connections with the same dealer, and all of them show marks of modern jeweling tools. They're fakes.

There are mesoamerican skulls hanging around. The Aztecs used to pierce skulls ear-to-ear and mount them on racks. There's evidence from documents, but also sculpture, like this.

I think it's widely accepted that Temple is the worst of the three Indi movies, and my theory is that the low opinion has to do with the strange context of Raj India that western audiences weren't familiar with. Both Raiders and Last Crusade involved Judeo-Christian occult and Nazis, which are both fairly familiar themes.

So what would be a familiar theme for this crystal skull? Well, if you look at an icon of the crucifiction, such as this, you'll notice there's a skull at the base of the cross. It's the skull of Adam, supposedly. The idea being Christ's sacrifice united all humanity throughout time (the blood drips down so the skull is washed) in salvation.

Now, there's another kind of mesoamerican skull. They are not life-sized. They are not drilled ear-to-ear, but rather top down. They served as the base of a crucifix. They don't seem to have existed before Columbian contact. I can't find an example now; the internet is flooded with modern replicas and interpretations.

But it makes perfect sense that Catholics, encountering cultures that already have a skull fetish, would exaggerate the imagery of the skull in their their own religious iconography.

But suppose someone like that missing Templar fleet, among its other treasures, had Adam's skull, and relocated it to the Americas? The Nazis would def. have wanted it, it would keep the Judeo-Christian occult theme, and it would let Indi fight a familiar villain.

And Spielberg, next time you make an Indi movie, just buy me a beer and let me write your script on a bar napkin.

thesamsquanch13

2 months ago

I saw this comment and was fully expecting to laugh that someone had so much to say about this topic. But my goodness that was informative and awesome. Thank you.

LegalAction

2 months ago

You should hear my theory about "the Fox."

Grad students get up to things when they should be studying.

thesamsquanch13

2 months ago

So instead of fallowing down a YouTube rabbit hole like the smooth brained people like myself you actually apply your knowledge

LegalAction

2 months ago

First, a graduate degree isn't evidence of intelligence. There are plenty of idiots with PhDs. I know some of them, and I might be one. A PhD is evidence of perseverance.

Second, if I have knowledge, I may not be applying it usefully.

Which brings me back to "The Fox."

One of the ways humans rhetorically differentiate between human and animal is language. Humans (supposedly) have language while animals make sounds. And we distinguish between different animals based on the sounds they make. I'm pretty sure anyone reading this post knows "Old MacDonald had a farm." It's a song we use to teach children what sounds individual animals make and links them to that part particular sound, so cows go "moo" and so forth.

This is not just an English thing; I know Greek has a similar song: "To Kokoraki." Similar premise. It's a kids' song that links the identity of animals to the kinds of sounds they make. I don't know Chinese, but I've been told there's a similar song in that language as well.

"The Fox" breaks this model. It sets itself up in a pedagogical model with the old man reading to the kid. It starts identifying animals by the sounds they make as expected, but when we get to the fox, no one knows what the fox says. That makes categorizing the fox as an animal on this model impossible. It throws the whole project of categorizing humans as different from animals, and identifying different animals, useless. It proves the system is flawed.

The song basically breaks language.

And then, after breaking language, we DO actually get to hear what the fox says at the end of the song.

It is the most subversive song ever written.

I have to have better things to do that think through all that, right?

Additional_Meeting_2

0 points

2 months ago

I am glad you took this as seriously as you researching history but the movie has plenty of other issues.

LegalAction

0 points

2 months ago

Well, getting rid of aliens is a start.

owenthegreat

19 points

2 months ago

Isn't that Dan Akroyd's vodka?

OobaDooba72

2 months ago

Hell yeah my dude. It's filtered through herkimer diamonds!

My honest review: it's a bit pricey, but it is a damn clean vodka that goes down smooth. I probably won't ever buy it again, but I have a cool rainbow crystal skull, so I don't regret it.

arfelo1

6 points

2 months ago

Honestly? Unpopular opinion coming but I hate Temple of Doom. And I think it is on the same level of badness as Crystal Skull

Jay_Louis

4 points

2 months ago

The future Mrs. Spielberg is.... Not a good actress. I was 12 when I saw it in the theater and as much as I enjoyed it, even I was like "what's up with the terrible actress"

DarthBalls1976

2 months ago

He married the blond chick?

Kidspud

5 points

2 months ago

It also gets flak for the Kate Capshaw character. It’s like they wanted her to be the comic relief but without being funny.

bluvelvetunderground

2 months ago

I always assumed that Willie was intentionally annoying to strengthen the comradery between Indy and Short Round to the audience.

itsthecoop

2 months ago

iirc Lucas and Spielberg have both gone through their divorces at that time. which might explain not only why the movie is so dark. but also why the main female lead is ... well, annoying.

Breezyisthewind

2 months ago

I actually really like Kate Capshaw in that movie. She greatly improves on rewatches.

Max_Thunder

5 points

2 months ago

I grew up loving Last Crusade more, but nowadays I love Raiders way, way more. I find the humor in Last Crusade can be annoying at times.

MamaDaddy

3 points

2 months ago

The humor in the last crusade was for those of us who were waiting for it and anticipating it coming out. I think watching them back to back you would lose the sense of time between them.

Ask_if_im_an_alien

2 months ago

Is it weird that I think Raiders is the worst one? It's still a really good movie... I just like the other 2 better.

rckrusekontrol

5 points

2 months ago

Not a big fan of II- mostly because the whole thing is a wacky side tribe trope. They don’t GO to the temple of doom, they end up there after coasting down a mountain on an inflatable raft. By golly, I suppose while we are here we should check out this Kali Ma stuff. Just stumbling on an archeological adventure while running from some other non-related shit doesn’t work for me.

MamaDaddy

3 points

2 months ago

That one just did not fit. I never bothered to watch it a second time.

tiberiuskodaliteiii

7 points

2 months ago

I found the girl he was with to be too annoying and it kind of took me out. Like I get that's supposed to be her character, bit maybe she would've fit better in just the beginning and then he meets another girl to go on this adventure with. Or just make her not as annoying.

Ask_if_im_an_alien

12 points

2 months ago

Ah yes... that's Mrs. Stephen Spielberg.

Willie isn't the greatest character. You would imagine he would dump her off at the first decent place because she was a hindrance.

But on the other hand... Short Round is awesome. Really glad that dude came back to acting.

17racecar71

5 points

2 months ago

When I was younger I didn’t understand why he didn’t just leave her at the airport. She is very annoying. As the seasons turned I grew up and now I see: Indy was trying to get laid

Ask_if_im_an_alien

2 months ago

"I saved you and I should keep you safe..... and smash". Sounds about right.

Jay_Louis

2 months ago

Isn't the point of all the Indy movies that he does everything to bang hot chicks?

17racecar71

The other chicks were smart and capable. The blonde in Temple of Doom was not

My prepubescent mind couldn’t figure it out. I get it now tho. Dr Jones is a horn-dog

alizarik_thegoblin

2 months ago

That's Temple of Doom, btw, not Raiders. Is that the one you meant in your initial comment?

Pawneewafflesarelife

5 points

2 months ago

Are you talking about the first movie or the second? The person you're replying to mentioned the first movie and Marion is NOT annoying!

ColdCruise

0 points

2 months ago

I really like Raiders, but I feel that it meanders a bit in the middle.

Ask_if_im_an_alien

2 months ago

It's been well over a decade since I've watched any of them. Must be time for another go.

ColdCruise

2 months ago

The new 4k remaster is really good.

TiggerTheMad

5 points

2 months ago

Junior! You call this archeology?

Conspiracy__

Not a trilogy right?

fponee

fponee

2 months ago

I disagree with this ranking order, but I do think that each of the three mastered at least one thing in particular:

Raiders - the sense of adventure

Temple - action set pieces

Crusade - interpersonal humor

Which of these listed perfections you prefer to watch will heavily affect how you rank these 3 movies.

alizarik_thegoblin

2 months ago

Good point, particularly about Temple's action set pieces - heck, most of the Indy ride at Disney is a credit to Temple's action!

Marmotskinner

0 points

2 months ago

You forgot it’s now a quadrilogy. They put out that steaming turd that’s just one 90 minute car chase with some bullshit about aliens at the end.
It’s about to become a quintet with some stupid child actors.

PrincessStinkbutt

3 points

2 months ago

Nobody forgot that abomination; we just refuse to acknowledge it.

Wpgjetsfan19

6 points

2 months ago

I deny that movie’s existence

NCpartsguy

2 months ago

I did not forget. I just refuse to acknowledge that movie exists.

dbx999

0 points

dbx999

0 points

2 months ago

Yes. The second was a miss.

numba1mrdata

2 months ago

Glad someone else agrees with me on this

AmHoomon

3 > 1 > 2 (4)

Pawneewafflesarelife

2 months ago*

The catacombs scene gave me such exciting anxiety as a kid. Love Indy! Got a lovely poster of him on the wall!

cdubyadubya

2 months ago

But then they made a 4th and fucked it all up.

TheSinningRobot

My controversial take?

In order of best to worst

Raiders, Last Crusade, Crystal Skull, Temple of Doom