subreddit:

/r/AskReddit

27.9k

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

all 19257 comments

LeCriDesFenetres

463 points

2 months ago

It actually checks out. 5 books, one movie, averages at 3.

deVriesse

150 points

deVriesse

150 points

2 months ago

I think there were 6 or 12 radio episodes originally. To set the record firmly crooked.

Swords_and_Words

31 points

2 months ago

And a really dope TV show

Still not sure if I prefer TV vapid hippie Ford or the hyperjazz post-psychadelic Ford from the Movie

Likewise torn on the two Dents

Guide Narration was way better in the show than the movie, though

domasin

15 points

domasin

15 points

2 months ago

The radio play will always be peak Hitchhikers for me. Peter Jones is the book.

Itchy-Examination-26

10 points

2 months ago

Absolutely incorrect. Stephen Fry is a world-class narrator.

traditora

6 points

2 months ago

I was gonna say that. Don't mess with Stephen Fry!

I've always said that if I ever have a car with one of those voice navigation thingies, I want it to be the voice of Stephen Fry.

Swords_and_Words

7 points

2 months ago

he was great, but I was more referring to the narration sections as a whole: the visuals compliment the narrations far better in the tv show imo

Itchy-Examination-26

4 points

2 months ago

Perhaps, but not many people can top Stephen Fry as a narrator. He has the perfect voice for it.

Swords_and_Words

2 points

2 months ago

he's on the short list to be the next David Attenborough

Swords_and_Words

8 points

2 months ago

voice was great, actor was great, but style was lacking

the guide narration is much better taken advntage of in the tv show imo, because it really uses the visual space to complement the words you are hearing and is full of easter eggs; the movie had very little visual complement by comparison

(holy cow, tough, the improbability drive sequences in the movie are stunning)

JahnBitWaf

5 points

2 months ago

The problem with the movie is that literally every time the script deviates from the radio/TV it is to replace something great with something appallingly shit.

By the time it has strayed into all new content, it is some of the worst, most pointless material ever filmed, and I’m including Hallmark channel Christmas romance movies where a woman from the big city who has forgotten the importance of her mother’s advice finds love and the real meaning of success when she is assigned to audit the business of a handsome carpenter in the town where she grew up.

The radio adaptations of the later books were the same. They made Ford describe something as “complete pants” (about 10 years after that phrase became as stale as a Keep Calm and Carry On teatowel.)

ScoobyDoNot

4 points

2 months ago

Arguably in keeping for an alien who named himself after an obsolete car and managed to increase the review of the earth by one word.

ProtoKun7

2 points

2 months ago

The TV show is wonderful and up there with the radio for my favourite versions though I ought to read the books properly at some point; I've got access to them but not read cover to cover except for The Restaurant at the End of the Universe as I have a movie promo copy of that one.

The illustrated 1994 release is pretty great and the model they used for Trillian is mesmerising. She was only credited as "Tali" so I've no idea who she is.

Back to the TV show, a really neat fact is that the book animations (still my favourite) were all hand-drawn.

God_Dammit_Dave

5 points

2 months ago

that comment could have been written by douglas adams. bravo.

robotguy4

11 points

2 months ago

6 books, technically, but it's understandable if you don't count the last book.

Salty_Pancakes

7 points

2 months ago

When I reread now I like to stop after 4. I think it ends perfectly there. Mostly Harmless came out years later and I think Adams was in a more cynical frame of mind when he wrote that one.

Mammyjam

8 points

2 months ago*

Yeah, it’s ten years since I last read them but I think Adams himself admitted that 5 was extremely depressing. I believe he intended to write a sixth to set the record straight but died before he could (GRRM- please type faster)

Edit: a sixth book was written but not by Adams (though with his widows permission). Adams had intended to finish the trilogy of six https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_Another_Thing..._(novel)

domasin

4 points

2 months ago

I do like referring to And Another Thing as part 6 of the trilogy of 5. That said I haven't read it in a long time and while Colfer is a good author I didn't feel it held a candle to the Adam's books.

wonkey_monkey

3 points

2 months ago

but died before he could

He loved deadlines, especially the whooshing sound they made as they went by.

_DONT_PANIC_42_

2 points

Same.

McPick

8 points

McPick

8 points

2 months ago

No no no. The answer is 42.

RichardMcNixon

6 points

2 months ago

Where did you get that? Pull it out of a scrabble bag or something?

TheGreatZarquon

4 points

2 months ago

"Poor bastard. Probably spelled 'czrjrglwicz' again or something."

Unlucky-Cow-9296

5 points

2 months ago

... How many roads must a man walk down...?

JahnBitWaf

4 points

2 months ago

He had forty-two boxes, all carefully packed,
With his name painted clearly on each
But, since he omitted to mention the fact,
They were all left behind on the beach.

The Hunting of the Snark, Fit the First, Lewis Carroll.

rmcshaw

1 points

2 months ago

6 books. The latest one by Eoin Colfer.

LeCriDesFenetres

2 points

2 months ago

I liked it, it's a good and respectful attempt, but I see it as a high quality fanfic honestly

rmcshaw

1 points

2 months ago

I'd argue that by the end of book 4, Douglas was writing fanfic. Book 5 is Tumblr grade bad fanfic by the autor himself.

1986MetsWin

1 points

2 months ago

Technically, there are 6 books now, as Eoin Colfer wrote ...And Another Thing.

But that fits, as the second trilogy remains unfinished by Adams, but another author jumping in makes perfect sense. Especially in a Double Plural System....