subreddit:

/r/AskReddit

27.9k

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

all 19260 comments

Billy_droptables

260 points

2 months ago

Oh man, he's a personal hero of mine, early adopter of the internet, huge tech nerd, hilarious writer, genuinely good dude who didn't take life seriously.

I have a banner in my office with my favorite quote of his, "I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by." Cannot say my PMs love that one.

Would absolutely recommend reading his works.

RealPhali

12 points

2 months ago

And he wrote for Doctor Who, helped write lyrics for Pink Floyd- even coming up with the title for the 1994 album "The Division Bell" in exchange for a donation to his charity. Massive philanthropist and legend that we sadly lost way, way too soon.

Awestruck34

4 points

2 months ago

Oh my God. I've always thought he died in his seventies or eighties. He was forty nine, we certainly did lose him far too early

_Kendii_

3 points

2 months ago*

……What?

Edit: In a thread like this, you never know…. Is that a joke?

Awestruck34

1 points

2 months ago

Not a joke. Tbh I didn't really know much about his life and I just assumed he'd lived a long while based on the stories I've heard about him

liontamer00

3 points

2 months ago

I still think about him dying so young and get sad every time I see his books on my bookshelf or mention him in conversation. So sad that I will never read another book that made me laugh so much about human nature.

_Kendii_

2 points

2 months ago

I am glad that I asked, because I thought I was replying to a post in the Vonngut chain, not Adams. Vastly different ages at death. Seriously though, based on the many replies between the two, I really thought it could have been an “inside” joke 😅

Since it’s not a joke, I completely agree. I didn’t know who he was until after he died. 13-14ish. Kind of sad.

LoneRangersBand

2 points

2 months ago

And wrote for Monty Python. He's one of two non-Pythons to get a writing credit for Flying Circus, and as Python tradition was for the writer of the sketch to appear in it someway, he does in a small role.

aurumtt

7 points

2 months ago

he really was a big advocate for procrastination.
hero.

Billy_droptables

18 points

2 months ago

You're missing the point of it. It's not procrastinating, it's living life on his time. We currently live in a world where everything needs to be done right now and that's toxic as all fuck, especially in a creative space.

aurumtt

9 points

2 months ago

it's not a bad thing. it's literally what you say here.
to quote Steve Meretzky, who collaborated with him on the video game: “he certainly raised procrastination to an art form”

ConcernedDudeMaybe

2 points

This sounds familiar 🤣🍝🤣

DaddyOhMy

1 points

2 months ago

He owned the first Macintosh in the UK. His good friend Stephen Fry owned the second one.