subreddit:

/r/AskReddit

27.9k

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

all 19260 comments

ItIsHappy

138 points

ItIsHappy

138 points

2 months ago

I read that book religiously growing up, so the cover always felt appropriate. Literally once per year though all of high-school.

2Ben3510

11 points

2 months ago

Same here, except i read it in french which was probably the best translation of all time, potentially better than the original (though the translator, Jean Bonnefoy, took a lot of liberties that purists will reprove).
Unfortunately the fucking editor thought it'd be smart to retranslate it partially when the movie came out, to match names among other things, destroying all the puns added by Bonnefoy and leaving just rubbish nonsense. I fucking hate them so much for that.
Fortunately I still have my old edition which is one of the last correct ones, since only the new shit is now available.
One day I'll scan it and release it as epub.

levmeister

1 points

2 months ago

The blasphemy... If you ever do that please send it to me. I will actually learn French to read a French interpretation of the hitchhikers guide. Full stop I don't know any French at the moment.

2Ben3510

1 points

Now you're tempting me... I guess I could release one chapter at a time 😁

unoriginalpackaging

9 points

2 months ago

I did a book report on it every year for six years. I basically copy/pasta’d my last years report and tweaked it. I figured it was an appropriate way to get out of any real work.

levmeister

18 points

2 months ago

Hah same. Eventually I remembered it so well I didn't really need to, but just for that look I would always get I would carry it around in my backpack anyway.

kuzared

2 points

2 months ago

Re-reading it now - I’m at the beginning of Restaurant.

ralphvonwauwau

2 points

Time to meet the meat.

levmeister

1 points

2 months ago

'"The first ten million years were the worst," said Marvin, "and the second ten million years, they were the worst too. The third ten million years I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.'

Words to live by right there.

PamCokeyMonster

2 points

2 months ago

So u can read it in Sunday school and church?

haraldone

1 points

2 months ago

I read the third book first, the second book next and the third book last and it still made perfect sense.

levmeister

1 points

2 months ago

As one does. If I hadn't found my lord and unsaviour Cthulhu I would probably worship Zaphod Beeblebrox... Is it weird that when I googled his name to make sure I had spelled it right, I actually had?