subreddit:

/r/Documentaries

1.4k

YouTube video info:

America's Broken Dream: The Middle-Class Families Living in Motels | Poverty in the USA Documentary https://youtube.com/watch?v=65N5ouukO6w

Java Discover | Free Global Documentaries & Clips https://www.youtube.com/@JavaDiscover

all 352 comments

MediocreFisherman

315 points

2 months ago

Dude at 4:15 said he's clearing $228 a week. That isn't middle class by any means.

Shitty_Fat-tits

183 points

2 months ago

in my experience, the working class are in denial about their status. The aspire to be middle class so much they refuse to accept their true reality.

twodickhenry

22 points

2 months ago

Fun fact: almost everyone of every background, when asked, will classify themselves as middle class. And there’s no clear outline for what the middle class is. It’s a useless category by all means.

DesktopWebsite

11 points

2 months ago

I am upper class all the way. I dont have the money or the job, but attitude is the first part. The rest follows. Finishing my P.h.D. on photoshop as we speak.

bamfalamfa

modern problems, modern solutions

orsikbattlehammer

2 months ago

It’s funny I threw a party when my household income crossed over into middle class. I probably just googled a number for it lol

Depression_spice

25 points

2 months ago

I don't think we have changed the meaning of middle class. The range for income in ca to determine what it is, is all over the place. The income for lower middle class only survives in the corners you havent heard of

Poctah

17 points

Poctah

17 points

2 months ago*

Yea that’s only around 15k a year if you factor taxes in. That’s way below poverty not even close to middle class. Makes me wonder if he even works full time. I made that much at 16 working 30 hours a week at Olive Garden as a hostess back in 2004 with no bills living at home🤦‍♀️

kumar_ny

14 points

2 months ago

I wonder what having 6 kids do to your financial situation?

eplugplay

It will create a "nuke your family", get it? Har har. :D

DHFranklin

71 points

2 months ago

"Middle class" is meaningless double speak for working poor. If you aren't the first or the last you're in the middle.

He has to work for an hourly wage. That used to mean he could afford the most modest home. That has completely disappeared. He's middle class, but what it means to be middle class has changed.

crazyabootmycollies

54 points

2 months ago

$100k per year is the modern middle class.

Steelsight

13 points

2 months ago

Depends on where you live, some states its 40k-80k. With above that being upper middle class, with +150k being upper. Cost of living is out of control in the major cities. So much so, if I made +100k if live in another state and fly into work for the week. Or remote in.

demoNstomp

6 points

$100k take home after taxes 😂

-1 points

-1 points

2 months ago

My fiancé and I bring in $300k and I consider us middle class. Will never be rich but will live an enjoyable life.

Hunnidrackboy

13 points

2 months ago

Bruh fr… not trying to flex in any way but I get that in a shift

Atxlvr

Atxlvr

lmao

WayneKrane

2 months ago

That’s like a part time job at $10 an hour.

Hubertman

556 points

2 months ago*

I have worked since I graduated college. I live pretty simply with no extravagant purchases. I’m a procurement associate in state government. When my landlord decided to demolish all his properties last year, including my home, I was left homeless. My place was torn down in October & I began searching for a place in January so I started the second I was asked to leave. I couldn’t find anywhere to live. I was eventually just looking for a place with heat and that was clean but there wasn’t anywhere I could afford. Fortunately, I worked in a large warehouse because I ended up staying there from October until March. I never would’ve dreamed I could be homeless. I guess my point is, some homeless and those who live in motels aren’t who you expect.

Edit: I’m a procurement associate not specialist. At one point I had to apply for the specialist position because some of my duties fell under that title. It’s convoluted.

xXTheFisterXx

177 points

2 months ago

Me, my wife, and my cat are in this situation right now. It is more expensive to live in a hotel, but cost of living is high here so you need like 4,000 ready all at once to actually lock in a place due to the deposit. Really miss having all my stuff, tired of being stuck in literally one room. My car went out of commission which has made things 10 times worse. It is so expensive to be poor

throwtruerateme

89 points

2 months ago

A family I know planned to stay at a hotel for a week or so while hunting for a new apartment in their new city. Well a week turned into 2, then 3 while they searched for an affordable place, and before they knew it they were about to burn through all the money they had saved up for their move. It's scary how quickly people can fall into a hole they can't get out of

xXTheFisterXx

32 points

2 months ago

Yeah I honestly don’t really see an end in sight and it is hard to not argue when financials and home are not set in stone

JossBurnezz

8 points

2 months ago

It’s infuriating. At one point I just stared daggers at one rental agent saying “I pay quadruple your clients’ rent living in a weekly rate motel”. No go since I couldn’t scratch up more than 1 months deposit.

marfatardo

157 points

2 months ago

Thank you for enlightening the peanut gallery, it can happen to literally ANYONE. With a good job, making decent $$$, and then pow, find a new place to live IF you can. And you need to go to lowered expectations pretty fast, but it still won't help. I met a man that had been trying to help an elderly neighbor patch up a leaking roof, fell through the roof and broke his back in 3 places. He had a great job in construction, but no health insurance. Lost everything he had, including a wife & 3 kids.

HelenEk7

35 points

2 months ago*

Where I live everyone who are not able to afford housing are eligible for housing benefits (meaning the government pay the extra money you need every month to pay rent, for as long as its needed. They will assess every year from then on whether or not you still need it).

It usually takes 6 days to get housing benefits. If you have nowhere to stay during those 6 days, the government will cover the cost for a hotel room while you wait. So a family might end up in a motel room like this, but it will only be for a few days.

A few people cant be helped with housing benefits, simply because its very difficult for them to rent a home on the private market. Perhaps because of mental illness or drug use. Then they will normally get access to government housing. (I'm in Norway)

tristyntrine

67 points

2 months ago*

Ah see in the USA the wait lists for housing vouchers/assistance are usually several years long in most of the country. Since our country doesn't care about people living in poverty since 40 million+ of our citizens live in poverty in the "richest nation in the world." At least that was the statistic from this 2019 documentary I linked below.

This documentary is a pretty good one from 2019 but I can't even imagine how worse off people are now in 2022-2023 after covid and all the inflation. It was already pretty bad before covid.. Politicians here pretend to care about their constituents but it's all a facade while they collect bribes from lobbyists and corporations.

HelenEk7

-1 points

HelenEk7

-1 points

2 months ago*

Last time I checked poverty levels were quite similar in the US and Norway - around 15%. But I see it has changed a bit since then (13% in Norway and 17% in the US): https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/poverty-rate-by-country

tristyntrine

33 points

2 months ago*

The issue though is our poverty standards are pretty antiquated and haven't been changed for some time. Also with the wage stagnation here in the states over the last 30+ years, it can be hard to tell exactly who is struggling and who isn't. Just because you don't fit the "poverty level" our federal government decided on doesn't mean that more people aren't struggling than the exact number who live below the poverty line in the country.

Statistically there are a certain number of people living below the arbitrary poverty line but that number is literally $12,880 for 2021 for an individual person and then $13,590 for 2022 for an individual. Frankly I feel like even making 30-40k/year will still have you struggling in most areas in the country. Our poverty line level is kind of a joke since many Americans struggle than just those who live below that absurd line.

The federal poverty guidelines, I really don't see how these numbers are accurate seeing as how you can struggle as a single person making 30-40k lol. Universal healthcare would make those lower wages of 30-40k a year be more manageable but due to the extra costs in our country, you won't be saving for retirement or have a savings.

Also the number of Americans who couldn't afford a $1,000 emergency expense is pretty telling that our country isn't as great as it tries to appear. You can find multiple articles with similar % points as the one below but that gets the point across. Similar to how our country likes to harp about low unemployment %'s, yeah well if people have to work 2-3 jobs to survive and not starve.. the exact % doesn't really matter since we don't have living wages.

HelenEk7

10 points

2 months ago

Yeah I agree. Over here most people didn't really struggle due to the pandemic, but what happened after the pandemic is that prices went up a lot. 40% increase in fuel cost in the last year, food cost 25% more compared to last year, and cost of electricity went up 4-5 times compare to last year, and interest on mortgages is going up. But its not creating more homeless people (the government is just paying out more housing benefits than before), but people that never used to struggle to buy food or pay their bills, are all of a sudden struggling this year. So in that sense poverty is growing, although not putting people on the street.

joleme

15 points

joleme

15 points

2 months ago*

Yup. Even in the shitwest.. err midwest. $15/hr is around 30k a year. That's $1800/mo after taxes give or take. The apartments in the shitty areas of my city are $600-700. If you don't want to live with near constant violence, shouting, etc around you then you're probably looking at 800-900/mo.

edit: I also forgot about first month/last month/deposit. So even a $700 apartment can turn into a $2,800+ first payment real quick.

Add utilities, internet, medical benefits (if you even get any), cellphone, gas, car payment, insurance, etc and you'll be lucky to be able to save a couple hundred a year. And good fucking luck if you are already in debt and trying to claw your way out.

Ativan97

7 points

2 months ago

The families had like 5 and 6 kids each with a single breadwinner I believe. That alone will push you into poverty.

joleme

11 points

joleme

11 points

2 months ago

Yeah, and you'll get that a lot with 'conservative' people. See it a lot here in the midwest and definitely in the appalachias. Sounds rude, and I suppose it is a bit, but smart people don't tend to have a lot of kids. For most people there is nothing to do here but get wasted and fuck, and when you're anti-abortion that means spitting out kids like teeth.

In my state at least the kids get free medical care. Not sure what the state govts are doing in appalachia.

Chitink

2 months ago

Where I live in the midwest (a city) , you can get a small apartment for about $900-950 (think studio) and while that's half your take home, it's something. They can also get a free associate's degree in my city to help them eventually move out of a minimum-wage job. Keep in mind, taxes are less when you make less also, so at 30k a year they are probably bringing home $2200 per month (at least in my state) then they pay $950 for rent which leaves them $1250 for utilities, food, clothes, insurance, etc. Not a ton, but not as dire as some in here are posting it to be.

4 points

2 months ago

The difference is where the floor is. The point of "someone will always be poorer than you" is irrelevant, we aren't looking for everyone to have the same amount of money, we wish to eliminate homelessness and hunger, provide adequate healthcare and access to education for everyone regardless of income. That is our floor.

Crownstar

2 months ago

They said 40 mill not 40%, quite different. Not that I even googled to check which one of you is right tho

Edit: they, not he.

HelenEk7

6 points

2 months ago*

They said 40 mill not 40%, quite different.

Ah sorry, I missed that! My link above says 17.8%, so that would be 59 mill people.

Bruce_Rahl

Bruce_Rahl

2 months ago

This doesn’t account for differences in cost of living.

The US is massive geographically and population wise compared to Norway. You cant use one baseline number for poverty here. It fluctuates depending on the locale due to cost of living varying.

You’re comparing 5.4 million people to 332 million, in a country that is 30 times bigger. Imagine putting 30 Norways together and then doubling their collective population. There zero way everything stays the same price unless you have crazy government regulation.

Zak_Light

9 points

2 months ago

It can't happen to anyone, actually. It doesn't happen to the mega rich, which is why it will never be addressed. It's to their advantage when you're homeless, because you're going to be desperate for scraps whether that's shitty housing, mediocre pay, whatever.

It's a class issue, as always. You losing everything, to them, is just an opportunity for you to lose everything to them.

SilentWeaponQuietWar

-45 points

If your wife and 3 kids leave, it's unlikely from having an injury alone

marfatardo

40 points

2 months ago

They had nowhere to fucking live, he lost his job and couldn't pay the rent. He was hospitalized for an extended period of time, and wife and kids had no income, and 3 small children, not yet in school. Daycare would cost more than you could possibly imagine, never mind trying to pay rent. Can you understand this situation yet? I can keep going if you've never had any real-life experience in this world, something tells me that some will still criticize and admonish people for nothing more than being victims of circumstance.

Borghal

-15 points

Borghal

-15 points

2 months ago

Can you understand this situation yet?

American non-healthcare aside, can you understand leaving your life partner at the moment they need you the most without any additional problems?

marfatardo

18 points

2 months ago

Can you understand having 3 children under the age of 5, no income, no way to buy food for them, nowhere for them to sleep, or play?! She had to choose between vulnerable small children, or a grown man that was being housed, fed, and taken care of in a hospital. Pretty sure they both knew that the ultimate responsibility was to their small children as most thinking, moderately intelligent people would conclude. Some parents feel like their children are life partners, too, and actually have to make completely heartbreaking choices.

SilentWeaponQuietWar

-5 points

2 months ago

I still don't understand why they left him. The whole point of family is to have someone with you in good times and bad.

dorkswerebiggerthen

2 months ago

It's fairly heavily implied that she shacked up with another man who would provide for her kids.
Agreed that it's fucked up but your kids gotta eat.

Borghal

-20 points

Borghal

-20 points

2 months ago

If he is being taken care of in the hospital, how exactly do you think to call that "wife left him" ?

marfatardo

9 points

marfatardo

9 points

2 months ago

Because she did. I'm done, troll.

BatmanBrah

-7 points

2 months ago

You must be smoking crack brother 😂

morningsdaughter

2 months ago

Yeah. I'm a SAHM. My husband is the sole income bringer. If he got injured and was unable to work, I'd just go to work and provide for the family myself.

I'm not attached to my husband because of his ability to provide for the family.

perturbaitor

-5 points

You don't know women.

thebusiness7

36 points

2 months ago

It’s pretty clear the whole system is fucked. At the current inflation rate you’ll see massive homelessness 20 years from now. It won’t be a surprise when the lower class/ lower middle class are actually forced to live abroad where the cost of living is cheaper

carcosa1989

16 points

2 months ago

I mean there’s massive homelessness now in places like LA Austin Portland… it’s getting pretty bad .

ronintetsuro

11 points

2 months ago

This prediction is from 20 years ago. It's very bad now.

crazyabootmycollies

6 points

2 months ago

I’m in Adelaide, South Australia. My landlord didn’t give me a copy of the new 12 month lease we signed in January. When I asked her for a copy in June she said it had just been stolen with a mess of her other belongings while she was out of town. 2 weeks later she calls to tell me, “I had to refinance and the bank isn’t accepting our agreement. They’re making me increase the rent from $430/week to $650/week.” then proceeded to tell me to find roommates to handle the extortion. Refused to answer myself, real estate agents, & emails for a referral after I told her I wouldn’t be staying for that 51% price hike to try and keep me hemmed in. I BARELY landed a place in time because one agent was willing to make an effort beyond the old landlord since I was willing to pay $450/week for a house with 50 year old ripped carpet and mold in the bathroom. Homelessness is so easy to end up in for a multitude of factors beyond the control of honest, hard working people. We have working families going homeless here because there’s not enough housing available, never mind affordability. Only 20% of rentals are considered pet friendly which only means that they’re willing to consider pets, not that they’re necessarily allowing them. Our politicians are all property investors so nothing significant is being done about it. Our social housing had a 5 year wait list BEFORE COVID-19, and much of that supply is falling into disrepair. I keep reading others in expat groups talking about housing shortages across the western world. I feel guilty for bringing my daughter into the mess that is modern society.

SuperSnip

8 points

2 months ago

Starting salary for your role is in the 50k range. How exactly are you unable to find a rental? Are you living in an extremely high cost of living city without considering suburbs? This does not add up.

Hubertman

9 points

2 months ago

My supervisor makes about $60k. I started as a purchasing assistant a few years ago making $14 an hour. My title only changed to procurement associate because I kept being given so many duties that had nothing to do with my original job description. I currently make about $19 an hour.

In West Virginia, $50,000 is rarely an entry level salary.

DancinWithWolves

2 months ago

Wow. That’s eye opening. If I may ask; did you have no savings? Or was it literally a case of “there’s no where to rent within an hour or two of where I live”?

Hubertman

2 months ago

No where to rent within my desired location. Most places I looked at that were affordable were atrocious. Ones that were decent were too expensive. I finally found a decent place.

No-Consideration4985

-6 points

2 months ago

So you chose to be homeless for 5 months because your standards were too high? Got it

Hubertman

7 points

2 months ago

No. But I like to avoid roaches and have heat. Five months living in a warehouse or signing a lease to live in a dump for a year?

IGunnaKeelYou

13 points

2 months ago

Perhaps ask them to clarify just how bad "atrocious" was before jumping to being a dickhead, yeah?

nawvay

nawvay

2 months ago

He says from within mommy and daddy’s house, never had to scrape by in his life

Feyzerz

-4 points

Feyzerz

-4 points

2 months ago

Working in procurement post college grad- so you have a degree in Supply chain management or some other business degree?

Not to be insensitive, but this doesn't add up. You shouldn't be in this dire of a situation with that degree. Especially with experience

Hubertman

6 points

2 months ago

Well…I have a business administration degree. My first job out of college (1993) paid about $4.50. I ended up working in broadcasting production for 20 yrs. I took a job in procurement in 2018. I’m the procurement person handling all purchases related to daily operations. (Office supplies, software, technology items, building maintenance). I make about $19 an hour. Unfortunately, I haven’t been with the state long enough to get a significant raise and those are extremely rare. Had I started in state years ago, I would be doing better.

TriscuitBob

2 months ago

Damn, you could make more bartending. That's why so many of my friends with degrees, including myself, spent so many years behind a bar. First job out of college paid $25k in 2001, eventually got to above $35k when the economy tanked. Was working p/t at a bar to make extra $$. Lost my job and bartended full time and made about $50k, but with no benefits. The economy sucks, I will give you that.

Abs0lutZero

137 points

6 children ?

SirNibblertheCat

-34 points

this

mr_ji

14 points

mr_ji

14 points

2 months ago

adds no value to the conversation

34 points

34 points

"middle class"

183 points

183 points

AzemOcram

9 points

2 months ago

Households with net worth less than 2 months rent with housing expenses more than 1/2 income are not middle class, regardless of what the absolute numbers are. The "squeezed middle class" is really lower/working class. I have never been considered true middle class either.

michaelponce

35 points

2 months ago

When a kid knows limited words yet manages to say "Not happy anymore". It is heartbreaking. Hope they find stability soon.

muri_cina

6 points

2 months ago

It made me so sad. This is not how childhood is supposed to be.

Elliott2

140 points

Elliott2

140 points

2 months ago

If you are living in motels you are not middle class

103 points

2 months ago

The middle class is a lie, there is the working class and the owning class

Separating "middle class" only serves to pit those upper classes against tens of millions of workers without access to basic human rights

Do better

FranklynTheTanklyn

41 points

2 months ago

I worked as a recruiter at a temp agency and the two other guys I worked with gave me shit when they found out I vote democrat. They gave me this long winded speech and my response back was, “I’m closer to needed help than not needing it”

notaballitsjustblue

2 months ago

You’re right. If one earns a salary they won’t be very wealthy. True wealth comes from inheritance, asset appreciation, and dividends. Ownership.

r/endinheritance

PMmeimgoingtoscream

2 months ago

The middle class pits the middle class against the poor

onetimenative

'Owning Class' .... aka Capitalists

You can believe in capitalism but it doesn't automatically make you a capitalist. You have to own capital in order to do that.

I see so many of my family and friends who speak about or show their support for capitalism when they don't even own anything and instead have mortgages and loans for everything expensive they have.

If you're poor and don't own anything and still advocate for Capitalism, you're basically defending and supporting the loan shark that is making your life miserable.

4 points

2 months ago

In not even opposed to it with adequate social safety nets and healthcare/education. Whether this is possible at this time is another story

I hate that saying "hey maybe we should just eliminate homelessness and hunger together" is treated as full bore sieze the means. It's not and one is a monstrous human being to view these things as acceptable

onetimenative

2 months ago

One of the problems of this discussion is that everyone thinks in extremes.

Either full on Capitalism, law of the jungle, survival of the fittest, let the weak die

Or

Sieze the means of production! Revolution! Eat the rich!!

A better idea is a moderation of the two ideas while maintaining the rights and freedoms of everyone, rich and poor. There is a possibility for a middle ground but there are always going to be groups that have to give up some of their wealth and power to share it with those who don't have it .... and humans on average are a greedy, fearful and untrustworthy bunch of animals that it will be difficult to even try to make it possible.

The_GhostCat

-17 points

2 months ago

Okay Marx, calm down. Maybe the world is a little more complex than you paint it.

2 months ago

Please demonstrate which part of my statements indicate a lack of complexity, and why said complexity should justify homelessness/hunger for children in the most powerful nation on earth.

"Divide and conquer", class-wise, has been the prime tactic of the owner class for centuries

Appropriate_Funny_69

-13 points

2 months ago

You're not homeless either.

JoOngle

28 points

JoOngle

28 points

2 months ago

Yes I've seen this first hand when I visited America from Sweden on my long vacation. I like to take unusual long vacations to small places (not touristy places) because people have such awesome stories to tell, and meeting real people with real issues is interesting to me (and sometimes heartbreaking), but it's the world we live in.

One example was when I rented a cheap "under construction and renovation" hotel room because it was a cheap alternative to staying in that town for a month, got a good price too, like 450 bucks for a whole month. It had shared bathrooms but it was nice, and people in there was amazing.

One of them I met was a mother of two, she had lived there for 1.5 years. And I was like, what? Have you been renting a hotel room for that long? Yeah - turns out the owners of hotels often rent out long term to families because it gives the hotels a guaranteed turnaround and fills up a few of the rooms so they always have a guaranteed income.

I asked her how come she's living in a hotel room for that long? She said she was recently divorced from her husband, and the hotel was so cheap to live in long-term that she just ended up living there, don't quite know where to ever get a house or an apartment ever again she said, she feels embarrased and was ashamed of this life but it beats living on the streets with my kids in a car she said.

On my trips on foot I met a lot of people with money issues, I talked to a KFC worker and she said she has to work TWO jobs and she can barely afford the studio apartment she lives in.

Another lady I talked to was a homeless lady that lived in a tent in the forest. She was such a sweet person, she talked about her daughter whom she was so very proud of, and how sad it was that she could never invite them over. I asked why that is? She said she don't want her daughter and her husband to know how she lives. It's been a few years ago now, but I still cry from time to time when I think of her story. If my mother lived like that I'd do anything to save her from that, it is just so horrible that decent people have to live like this.

I also follow a streamer on Youtube who gets his donations from doing silly antics on the internet for donations. He lives in his car, he dreams of being able to afford a bigger car one day so he can make a proper bed in there. Winter is coming and it's clear that he ain't getting enough donos to reach that dream, and we follow him in bad and good days, sometimes he cries and shuts off the camera and turns it back on when he's in a better mood.

SwoleWalrus

37 points

2 months ago

The problem with renting apartments in the US is that you have to pay for the application fee, wait, hope to get in, then have a down payment, a first months payment, and fees. All of this is thousands of dollars people do not readily have available to just give if something major happened in their life.

Optimistic__Elephant

18 points

2 months ago

Yea, in some cities it's:

• First month's rent
  • Security Deposit (1 month's rent, in theory refundable, in practice.....)
  • Last Month's rent
  • Realtor fee of 1 month's rent (non-refundable)

So 4 months rent all up front. Just brutal.

okram2k

11 points

okram2k

11 points

2 months ago

I have never, in my life, ever gotten a security deposit back from an apartment. The security deposit is really the 'installing new carpet after you leave' fee.

And somehow despite supposedly being a free market they ALL have the same fees and raise rents at the same rates. Almost like it's some sort of market collusion.

SpicyWater92

SpicyWater92

2 months ago

These are big cities issues. Never had to pay that much up front. Literally first month's rent and a security deposit that I got back in full because I took care of my apartment. My nephew was in New York and dealt with what you're talking about. That's not the case for a lot of places in America.

mdh579

10 points

mdh579

10 points

2 months ago

The KFC comment is very, very true. I used to drive for rideshare, Lyft, and I'd regularly pick people up and drive them to their jobs at fast food, minimum wage, etc. Then I'd realize that they just paid about a quarter or what they were even going to earn that shift just to get there, then there's the ride back. The people are effectively working for half of minimum wage. It's incredibly expensive to be poor in the USA.

navywater

165 points

navywater

165 points

2 months ago

This was filmed in 2009 during the recession.

It just got reposted in 2021, this isn’t reflective of how it is today

james_TEFL

114 points

2 months ago

You're right, it's worse now.

Pipupipupi

Living in dumpsters now

Sheek014

64 points

2 months ago

I can tell you a large population lives in motels outside of Disney. This is how it is today. I taught many students who lived in motels

Mother_Welder_5272

31 points

2 months ago

Literally a movie about them - The Florida Project.

xXTheFisterXx

2 months ago

Did the kids actually make it into Disney World at the end?

Jstony20

36 points

2 months ago

Yea more live cars now because they can’t afford a hotel.

harundoener

2 months ago

Yeah I was gonna say, aren’t hotels kinda expensive?

WayneKrane

2 months ago

Right, even the cheapest motels by me are $400 a week. Out in the sticks they are about half that but there’s no jobs out there.

Head-like-a-carp

90 points

2 months ago

The majority of Americans do not have 1000 dollars in savings. It is very much true today. One thing is government intervention in my opinion is part of the reason this exists. Republicans and Democrats share one thing in common: their total contempt of the middle class

seansy5000

19 points

2 months ago

Careful not to get all libertarian. Their whole ideology is a half baked farce using Adam Smith’s wealth of nations which they apparently stopped reading less than half way through.

Noam

TriscuitBob

2 months ago

My uncle is libertarian but he would freak out if their policies were implemented. His mom, who was a house wife her whole life, would be kicked out of her old folks home and he'd be left to foot the bills for her medical care. Plus she'd have to move in with him because SS and Medicare would be non-existent. Plus he works a government job, so he'd lose that and all his benefits too. Would be funny to see. He'd also have to figure out how to pay for his 3 kids schools, because adios public school, hello private.

Kevo_CS

2 months ago

You do realize that he’s making an attempt to distinguish between libertarianism and classical liberalism, both of which fall under the USA libertarian umbrella these days?

And he’s also pretty flat out anti-capitalist so you can take Chomsky’s thoughts on political systems with the tiniest of grains of salt. What he does speak brilliantly about is propaganda and the military industrial complex. Neither of which are partisan issues. No other industry better exemplifies public funds for private profit than the military industrial complex and both major parties are absolutely complicit while libertarians get mocked through the media as isolationists.

navywater

43 points

2 months ago*

The man with the large family was a manager at a car dealership. He lost his job in 2008 because banks stopped lending and car sales plummeted. I guarantee he only worked minimum wage for 6-12 months before getting another job at a dealership. Managers make between 100-250k and salesmen make between $45k and 120k depending on how good they are. He could have easily gotten a job as a salesman but I’d give it a 50/50 if he found a new manager spot.

The man who works at Disney is making around $15 an hour now assuming he stayed in the same position which is basically slightly ahead of inflation. However if he took at advantage of disneys free leadership training he would be making between $18-25. Most likely he is dead now due to his poor diet.

The landlord should be slightly better off depending on how covid affected her. I don’t know if motels count towards the Covid rent freeze so it’s possible she either made a normal amount money the past 10 years or she could have gone bankrupt in 2021 due to the rent freeze. It’s also unlikely she is still alive because she wasn’t young and she had a very poor diet.

The retired old lady that was homeless is still homeless. Can’t fix her situation with a growing economy. Also likely dead.

Americans living in poverty peaked in 2008 at 15% fell to 10% in 2019 and has since increased to 11.4%.

So around a third less today as opposed to when this was filmed.

WNEW

-12 points

WNEW

-12 points

This would be accurate if it were 1994

Ragnakak

-13 points

Ragnakak

-13 points

2 months ago

How cute, you think one of the two parties do care

WNEW

-6 points

WNEW

-6 points

2 months ago

I mean it couldn’t be clearer but I’ll let people who live by George Carlin ethos be wrong.

Again

earhere

14 points

earhere

14 points

It's probably worse now.

navywater

8 points

navywater

8 points

2 months ago

Between 2008 and 2019 the amount of Americans living in poverty shrank from 15% to 10%. Thanks to the shutdowns and the resulting inflation poverty is sitting at 11.4% today.

We can easily be higher than 15% in another 12 months. I actually predict this myself but as of today we are actually better off than 2008.

Americans are relying on credit cards to pay for essentials so they won’t fall back into poverty until the credit lines run out. And this hasn’t happened yet.

tristyntrine

2 months ago

Documentary from 2019 bud. 40 million+ of Americans live in poverty as of this documentary and that was before covid. Imagine how worse off things are now in 2022-2023 for people in this country after the insane inflation we've had.

Fondren_Richmond

2 months ago

Rents are definitely up in high cost areas, medium- and low-cost areas may not have enough inventory to deal with lower credit applicants if you've been out of work for a year and falling behind on payments for non-staples.

DavThoma

DavThoma

2 months ago

So we're looking at a 13+ year difference. Do you honestly think that right now is any better?

Ok-Consideration2463

11 points

2 months ago

I know this is cynical but seriously? The cover art is a couple with 6 kids? Yeah, I imagine it is quite financially challenging to pay for that many kids. Do people not consider the financial consequences of such choices? Isn’t the cost of raising one child until they are 18 y/o around $300k?

fibralarevoluccion

22 points

2 months ago

I know the guy on the left!! He trained me when I worked at MK. I didn't know this about him. He is actually a really nice guy, when I had my oldest my coworkers threw me a baby shower and he donated $50. I am having so many emotions right now

thecoolerllcoolJ

2 months ago

Haven't watch the video but the poorest people I have known happen to be the most generous.

HelenEk7

12 points

2 months ago*

I find this very sad. Where I live people like this would be eligible for housing benefits. Meaning they would be able to afford a proper home no matter what their circumstances are. (If you are a citizen or have a legal living permit that is). I'm in Norway.

predy_mama

predy_mama

We’re in hell.

theonlymexicanman

4 points

No, Hell is in Norway

See its pretty nice

mr_ji

-5 points

mr_ji

-5 points

2 months ago

It's similar in the U.S. but many don't bother to seek it out.

HelenEk7

2 months ago

Someone else said that in the US you might have to wait several years to get approved.

mr_ji

mr_ji

2 months ago

It may depending on area, but there are programs that will place you in housing immediately when you walk in where I live (California). I've sent several young people to them. Some go, some choose to remain homeless.

People seem more content to complain and feel sorry for themselves than to address their problems.

greenball7395

34 points

2 months ago

You ain't middle class if you're living in a motel. These people need to get over their feelings and accept the reality that they are lower class and poor.

Optimistic__Elephant

7 points

2 months ago

The term middle class has been used with so many different definitions that it's lost all meaning.

muri_cina

muri_cina

2 months ago

Whats the difference though? Ok lets call them lower class, does it allow fellow humans to look away? Children should not grow up in motels.

It also shows that one day you are middle class and homeless low class the next.

I don't get why people are not scared af. I would not spend a penny more than my basic needs and stash everything away, having no trust in the society.

89LeBaron

20 points

2 months ago

The difference I think is because if we can put a correct name on what they are (poor) then we can create the proper means to help those people - admit that it’s a real problem and that it is NOT OKAY for a working family with children to be living in motels. By labeling them “middle class” we sidestep the issue at hand.

okram2k

0 points

okram2k

0 points

Okay. They're poor.

We'll help them now just as much as we help all the other poor...

almost none at all while trying to ship them away to become somebody else's problem.

muri_cina

muri_cina

2 months ago

They are middle class or former middle class and relatively poor at the same time.

How many people are in the middle class and how well they are doing is a good indicator of societal stability.

The bigger the wealth gap and more people at the bottom leads to downfall of a country.

There are some popular yt channels who has the overall message, that americans who work in restaurants or Disney don't deserve a living wage, its their fault that they did not get a higher eduction and can't survive on wages that are being eaten up by inflation.

billbixbyakahulk

4 points

2 months ago

I would not spend a penny more than my basic needs and stash everything away

I don't mean to be a jerk, but if you did that you very likely would not be in a situation like the people in this video.

greenball7395

2 months ago

I agree with you. The reason I'm saying these people need to let go of this delusion is because it makes act against their own best interest. I have met many Americans who are, according to me, lower class simply based on their income and educational level. However, they see themselves as middle class and vote for candidates and support policies that work against them.

-3 points

2 months ago

We will not apologize for demanding that lower class not have members that are unhoused - poorly fed - unseen by a doctor - beyond any opportunity of improving themselves with quality education

Get over it

greenball7395

We will not apologize

Who is "we" here?

Who are you demanding this from? Humans aren't born with shelter and have to perform some actions (call ot work) to acquire it. Are you saying some people need to work to create shelter for both themselves and other humans while those other humans don't have to do anything?

Feyzerz

2 months ago

I will never understand why you people think "unhoused" is somehow better than "homeless" as if it doesn't refer to the exact same thing

JethroFire

-3 points

JethroFire

-3 points

2 months ago

I think you got lost on the way to seize the means of production and ended up on Reddit.

2 months ago

The lazy red-scaring kind of falls apart even when looking at the issues of homelessness/hunger/etc from a purely capitalistic point of view

A housed, happy citizen is a more productive citizen, and the cost to provide these is less than the tabulated loss of economic productivity resulting from inaction

JethroFire

0 points

Sir, this is a Wendy's.

ripyourlungsdave

10 points

2 months ago

My parents spent the better part of a decade after the housing crisis in 2008 in pretty severe debt. Despite my dad making six figures, we were living in tiny two bedroom apartments and duplexes with our six-person family.

It was really rough for a long while there. They actually didn't end up being able to pull any real money together until after I had moved out. So my little brother and little sister have at least gotten an easier life than I did.

ripyourlungsdave

2 months ago

Yeah. While I'm not, my family is christian.

But I think most of our financial woes came from my dad growing up really poor and not knowing how to budget once he started making money. My mom was 20 when she got pregnant with their first kid and my dad was only 19. And by the time he was 30, he had four kids.

But, yeah, the religiosity probably didn't help anything.

Inthewind69

21 points

2 months ago

People are living in there cars , tents sadly they cant afford a motel room. Such a sad state of affairs in the good old USA. The rich get richer the middle class is shrinking .....

12 points

12 points

7 points

2 months ago*

Soon? There already is. The fact that a class is comparatively small does not morally matter when the distinguishing factor is a roof over your head or adequate nutrition

jdshillingerdeux

2 months ago

There is a middle class, but frugal first generation immigrants make up the glut of it now. We mostly keep to ourselves.

PoorPDOP86

PoorPDOP86

2 months ago

...in major cities. People forget that. The combination of multiple factors just screw people over from day one. Move to the major cities, there's plenty of oppourtunity! High rents, high product prices, numerous fees, very few public restrooms, and fees, fees, and more fees! Meanwhile, the state legislators hold up or try to shut down any new factories or industries that don't fit their ideological checkmark. I'd know, NY has tried to shut down Nine Mile Nuclear and put enough blocks in place for the expansion of the Novelis plant that we're just glad it finally got built. While of course telling us how happy we should be they thought of us at all.

ToMorrowsEnd

0 points

2 months ago

mostly because the govt refuses to limit the amount of price gouging landlords are allowed to do coupled with most places not allowing reasonable homes to be built due to local building code restrictions on minimum square footage.

Sheek014

6 points

2 months ago

I taught at a middle school where a lot of kids lived in motels in the shadow of Disney. It is heartbreaking.

WNEW

6 points

WNEW

6 points

2 months ago

Most of these hotels just end up being apartment buildings, its a noticeable trend here if youve been to California and Nevada specifically

2 months ago

Except they are still motels, which means the occupants enjoy even lower protections than the already piss poor housing protections in most of the USA

Inna94061

4 points

2 months ago

OMG, looks like I'm rich in Bulgaria?!! ☹️You can't see that on TV!

captain-snackbar

2 months ago

How’s living in your car or sleeping in motels “middle class”?

Pipupipupi

"Middle class"

A_Can_Of_Pickles

2 months ago

This film was released in 2012, not 2021 and documents America during the Great Recession of 2008.

ExperientialTruth

26 points

2 months ago

Serious question. Why the fuck do some poor people ahem** choose to have so many kids? Like, is it low intelligence and inability to fucking forecast how expensive it is to raise one child let alone 6 as seen in the cover of this post?

And before ANYONE attempts to say something like, "man, people can fall on hard times," or, "unexpected things happen," answer my question truthfully and factually first.

Poors - STOP getting pregnant and having kids you obviously cannot afford in the event of a reasonably-thought out downside financial scenario....

billbixbyakahulk

12 points

2 months ago

Six kid guy was also talking about how he used to play golf at a country club. That blows my mind. You have SIX KIDS relying on you but you blow any potential savings and emergency fund at the country club, and just assume the pre-2008 economy would keep going on forever. Then he talks about how it's "not the 1950s anymore". Even in the 1950s his reckless behavior would have landed him in poverty.

Ativan97

2 months ago

That's when I had to stop watching. I don't like to victim-blame, but I just wanted to shake him and tell him "That! Shit like that got you here!" Because it's true.

Pinoymmafighter1

29 points

2 months ago

In the Philippines, where my dad's from, it's due to the Catholic church. The poorest of the poor squatters would literally have 6 or more children. The catholic church would condemn them telling them they'd instantly go to hell if they abort or even get birth control. The Catholic church is strongly tied with the politicians, who in turn gets more votes from the rapidly reproducing poor population. I used to live around metro Manila for 4 years for school. Outside the nicer areas would be a swarm of dirty, malnourished, and many of them naked kids running around the streets dodging cars, jeepnys, and tricycles and panhandling. Alot of them would also sniff Rugby( a brand of epoxy) and snatch bags, wallets, and cell phones.

My opinion is that the poor are also poorly educated. In this case they're easily brainwashed by the church. The fear of religion combined with hormones and the biological urge for sexual intercourse is the main cause of poors having a shitton of kids they can't afford.

ToMorrowsEnd

24 points

2 months ago

Religion is the #1 cause. catholic in many places still teaches that "sex is only for making kids" and "you should have a lot of kids". Also most religions demonize masturbation so they have only one choice or "god" sends them to hell.

Religion preys on the poor.

kripticblade

2 months ago

This 100%. Went to church for first time in ages yesterday, one of the prayers or part of the Father talking was: "have more kids".

As a childfree person but also raised catholic, I had a hard time saying amen to that prayer.

NormalAndy

11 points

2 months ago

Strange that it’s normally the very richest and poorest who have most kids. Family is seen as wealth and support for the future - that’s my guess.

Window_Watcher

13 points

2 months ago

Where im from its due mainly to intelligence, public/family shame and religion. I've heard a few women say how much they hated the fact they would have another kid as it's not convenient for them. Then go and get it and tell everyone how happy they are to have a kid. And don't even try to tell people they have options, I've gotten an earful at times.

eyeroll_city

17 points

2 months ago

Lack of birth control and contraception is a big player. Either they don’t have access or can’t afford adequate healthcare or they don’t believe in birth control due to religious reasons.

blickblock1000

2 months ago

“Damn it I’m so poor and the system is fucked so I can’t get help but I just HAVE to bust this nut!”

2 months ago*

Almost everyone wants sex and companionship. This desire is at least partly driven by that most basal of drives as an organism, to reproduce. Why do you deny someone their humanity over something as unnatural a currency?

yerkah

yerkah

2 months ago

Because it creates children who shouldn't have been born because their parents cannot feasibly support them. You can still fuck, just wrap it up like the rest of civilized society.

geoffs3310

11 points

2 months ago

Yeah started watching it and then Larry says I have 5 kids so immediately switched it off 🤣 no wonder you're poor why the hell did you have 5 kids!

Map42892

2 months ago

The people commenting that it's religion... I don't know if that's really the case in the US and Europe anymore. At least where I am (rural New England), poor people usually have kids to plug psychological holes in their lives. Same reason many people have kids in general. It's something their friends and family celebrate, allows people to take state family/medical leave, gives a justification for people who are adverse to working, etc. It's just short-sightedness from a portion of the population that's statistically more likely to be uneducated and irresponsible.

This comment probably came off as harsh, but I don't know of a more accurate way to put it.

7 points

7 points

musicantz

6 points

2 months ago

It’s not like you can just have 6 kids. That takes years of work to accomplish. You would think that at some point in the middle there someone could be like dang these kids are getting expensive.

2 months ago*

The difference in US births per 1000 from $0 family income and $100,000 is about 23%. In short this can be explained mainly by education level (less time spent in school) religion, access to affordable reprodctive healthcare, and region. The idea that "those poors are having too many kids" is a classist, racist (in the face of racial income and health inequality) exaggeration designed to convince people to fight against social safety nets that would improve the lives of tens of millions of children.

before ANYONE attempts...

You yourself are ignoring reality in favor of blaming the victim (children and working class) for their circumstances placed on them.

Imn0tg0d

13 points

2 months ago

What do you do in this state if you get pregnant? Your choice is gone.

-6 points

2 months ago

The median household income in the US is $70k. If you think that "half of you don't have children and stay poor" is a working model for a society, you may want to spend a few more seconds thinking.

geoffs3310

13 points

2 months ago

I don't think anyone is saying that. There's a difference between having children and having 5!

yerkah

yerkah

2 months ago

This is ideological bullshit that is designed to pivot personal responsibility away from poor people who make stupid decisions. This isn't the 1800s, and it's not a surprise to anyone in the first-world that children require a lot of resources. The reality is, poor people often have kids to fill holes in their lives. It's often an attempt to feel worth by people who perpetually identify as worthless. It's selfish, and the worst part is that there are otherwise well-meaning people today who will justify these bad decisions based on the assumption that poor people are always victims of circumstance, and never victims of their own choices.

Life is never that black-and-white. You can be in favor of social safety nets and solving the housing crisis while not shouting Raycyzm into the clouds to dilute the fact that some people are in a perpetual state of helplessness and irresponsibility.

muri_cina

4 points

muri_cina

4 points

2 months ago

While I get your point, it does nothing to solve the problem that people are already in.

It sounds like, lets say they were stupid and move on, bc it is clearly self induced.

NoXion604

NoXion604

2 months ago

People do in fact fall on hard times and have unexpected things happen to them. That doesn't change just because you choose to deny the facts, so that you can carry on wagging your finger at people you think of as being beneath you.

billbixbyakahulk

6 points

2 months ago

That guy bragged he was playing golf at a private country club. Later in the video he was bragging about his boat and vacations, and said, "it was consumerism at its finest". All while he had 6 mouths to feed at home.

0 points

2 months ago

To imply this man is the norm is not supported by a single data source. Think outside of what is on your screen

billbixbyakahulk

2 months ago

I think you're missing my point. People do fall on hard times. Is this guy representative of that? In my opinion, he isn't. So therefore, he shouldn't be in this documentary. Or, at least they should acknowledge that his choices were a very large contributor to his outcomes.

SweetBrea

2 months ago

Many moons ago when I was a kid, my family lived in a hotel for a while one year. As kids we thought it was great- cable (we didn't have that at home) and a pool. Looking back as an adult I really feel for my parents. It must have been a hard time for them. Luckily they eventually found a small rental place they could afford.

Daflehrer1

Daflehrer1

2 months ago

With appt rent for a family, even in dodgy neighborhoods, at $900-1600, parents are trying to keep their kids safe, clothed, and fed as best they can. That's the bottom line.

ExperientialTruth

-16 points

2 months ago

Perhaps they shouldn't have had kids if it wasn't financially feasible? ......???

Civilized_Monkey

10 points

2 months ago

You may not have considered that it's possible for a person's financial situation to get worse. This was filmed right after the 2008 recession. It's possible for someone to have kids when it is financially feasible, and then to lose their job and savings when the economy crashes. What would you recommend that they do then?

muri_cina

muri_cina

Abort past the 100 months. /s

Some comments here are just unbelievably heartless for a country that considers a fetus a life worth saving. Than turns around and blame the parents for being poor.

KindaTwisted

2 months ago

Because the dirty secret is they don't give a fuck about the kids.

It was never about the life of the kids. It was always about controlling and punishing women who enjoyed having sex.

-1 points

-1 points

2 months ago

They do it because you let them. $228 per week? You don't sell your time for that. You organise yourselves and you tell Disney to fuck off.

"Without the people that row, the man at the bow is just a man with a whip on a very quiet, stationary ship."

muri_cina

muri_cina

2 months ago

I bet there will be CPS on their door second day of the strike.

yerkah

yerkah

2 months ago

Meta question: why are so many top posts on this subreddit political docu-shorts on YouTube with an anti-American angle? Not that any work of nonfiction should be an American propaganda piece, but this type of post seems to satisfy a certain bias that exists in huge numbers on this subreddit. It's a bummer that the top posts here aren't just good documentaries about... whatever. I'm always bummed when I see these posts because it's impossible to tell if the doc is actually good—and not just an ideological diatribe meant for a specific demographic/audience—without committing to the entire thing.

Anyways, people living in motels are not middle class. Poor people just like to call themselves middle class because it helps them internally justify their situation, without having to ask "should we have popped out that many children?" Or "should we have spent so much money at the country club?" There is a lot the US can do to better support affordable housing and a living wage, but at the end of the day, the US has a lot of people who just, for lack of a better description, suck at life.

nobollocks22

-1 points

nobollocks22

-1 points

2 months ago

Daniel mathew carter also killed his uncle at age 14, then tried to escape a juvenile facility.

He was let off on both charges, including this murder.

Sstnd

0 points

Sstnd

0 points

2 months ago

Healthcare and any social security net = Socialism.

You get what you ask for I guess. America should be a Symbol of what an capitalistic World looks like in its end stages.

Tulaislife

2 months ago

Would you like to address inflation and regulations preventing the free movement of good and services.

Sstnd

0 points

Sstnd

0 points

2 months ago

Y. NEED TO DEREGULATE THE ECONOMY. TRICKLEEEEE DOOOOOWN.

Spare me, for the love of god

5kyl3r

5kyl3r

2 months ago

while this is true and sad, I always check the poster of any articles that show america (or the west in general) in a negative light and I noticed this account was created last month. bot? most likely

CTBthanatos

-3 points

CTBthanatos

-3 points

2 months ago

Fun fact: they are not "middle class" families.

Fun fact: you're not "middle class" when living in poverty lmao.

Fun fact: The "middle class" doesn't actually exist anymore (for the vast majority of the population, who are in constant extreme financial strain from unsustainable low wages and unsustainable/unaffordable cost of living) but the word "middle class" is still spammed everywhere in a desperate attempt to save the unsustainable economy from being humiliated as a dystopian failure of exploding poverty.

jinladen040

2 months ago

I remember being 8 years and my moms job got sent off to Mexico. After her working there for more than 25 years and working her way up to Manager.

And that was because Bill Clintons NAFTAS Act. You can no longer work the average factory job in this country and finance a home, good luck even finding a factory job in this country anymore.

We need proper leadership that unites and actually puts Americans first. That doesn't admonish those that have a sense of Nationalistic Pride because until we actually start thinking about Americans first, nothing will change.

Sstnd

Sstnd

2 months ago

Nice that you voted for the first best buffoon that promised you "murica first" - how did that work out for the lower 90% again? Not too well, did it?

jinladen040

jinladen040

2 months ago

Didn't vote for the guy but how well is our current Divider in Chief working out?